07 April 2011

pancake breakfast

My family loves pancakes.

When we were in Nova Scotia every Tuesday would be pancake day. My husband did not have classes that day and would be at home and because we had so little time together during the week as a family we would pick the kids up from school for lunch on Tuesday and we would eat pancakes. Everyone looked forward to pancake day...pancakes in the middle of the day and the surprise of what kind of pancakes would be on the table that week; my hubby and the kids loved being home from school for lunch and I loved having everyone together. Pancake day is one of our great memories from Nova Scotia.

This morning the six year old and the three year old both requested pancakes for breakfast. I was happy to accommodate the request. (Did I ever mention how much I LOVE not having to rush off to school in the morning?) So, I threw together some ingredients and ended up with school morning pancakes...

In a medium sized bowl mix together:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat bran
1/2 cup ground walnuts (just whizz some walnuts up in the food processor)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt

In a smaller bowl whisk together:

2 eggs
2 Tbsp canola oil (or any other oil you prefer)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla (optional; we like vanilla...)

Add the wet ingredients to the dry...



While you are mixing batter...have the griddle (or frying pan if you do not have a griddle) heating on the stove (I preheated mine at medium to medium low but I have a cast iron griddle...experiment with what works best for you and your stove). Lightly grease griddle/pan.

I used a 1/2 cup scoop to scoop batter onto griddle.


When the bubbles have popped and the edges begin to cook, flip pancakes over.


Serve with butter and pure maple syrup (while most of the food I cook is rustic comfort type food, I still am a bit of a food snob and insist on pure maple syrup...there really is no substitute. But, if you choose something else...I won't know about it and I'll just pretend that everybody is using the good stuff...you are right?)


This is my current favourite. The darker the syrup the stronger the maple flavour.

In my house...


a stronger maple flavour is so much better!


Happy pancake day!

No comments:

Post a Comment