05 January 2011

gratitude on a snowy morning


It is a grey, snowy morning here in the Okanagan...


and the kids and I are cozied up in our little cottage for the morning....
(I think the afternoon will be spent tobagganing)


Since it is so cold and snowy, I thought it would be a perfect morning for some apple spice muffins to warm us up...



Like many people at this time of year we are a little short on cash and while we are awaiting the first paycheck of the year I just thought I would mention how grateful I am that I have learned how to cook!

even with little in the fridge I was still able to make a yummy breakfast of apple spice muffins (using apples that I chopped up and froze in the fall) and delicious canned fruit from this summer...



I am grateful that I love to be in the kitchen (I always feel so sorry for those who view cooking as a chore) and my husband is grateful that when he sees nothing to eat and "no food" in the house that I am able to put something on the table that is just as good if not better than what we would eat if we had money to spare.

I really do love eating in season and in Canada without the aid of greenhouses the only thing that is in season right now is food that was stored up for winter during the great harvests of summer and fall...and so during this time of instant gratification and endless supermarkets...I am very thankful to have a closet full of summer canning and a freezer full of chopped fruit and the side of grass fed beef we purchased in the fall...life is good!

1 comment:

  1. It's me, Carma, again! You are wonderful Miss Joanna!! Loved this blog too! Life is good isn't it?

    ReplyDelete